What can I recycle?

taking out toter
A full recycling bin and cardboard boxes.

Why the larger size?

​The new 65 gallon recycling toters were funded by the City with grant assistance from the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality and the Recycling Partnership, a nonprofit organization utilizing public-private partnerships to transform recycling all across America. All three organizations are committed to the same goal of increasing recycling in Royal Oak, in Michigan and throughout the country!  Because of their increased size there is a greater capacity to recycle more which means less material going into the landfill.  If residents cannot use the 65 gallon toters or have more recycling than will fit in the toter, GFL will still pick-up the 18 gallon bins as well.  By the way, the 18 gallon bin is yours to keep.  If you no longer wish to keep the 18 gallon bin, please bring to SOCRRA, 995 Coolidge, Troy to be recycled.

How do I put out my toter/bin?

​Please place your toter/bin to the curb by 7:00 am of your regular refuse day.  Please separate by 2 -3 feet as there are 3 different trucks running the city on your refuse day.  The toters/bins are for recycling only, do not mix with trash or the toter/bin will not be emptied until corrected. ​Your new 65 gallon toter holds three times more recycling than the 18 gallon bin and is now what is called mixed recycling, which means that you PLACE ALL YOUR RECYCLABLES LOOSE IN THE TOTER/BIN, super easy!!​

Why no scrap metal or batteries?

​​Many residents have inquired why they cannot put scrap metal and batteries in the toters/bins. The new conveyor belt system for mixed recycling cannot accommodate scrap metal at this time  and the new truck system cannot take batteries as they could cause a potential fire hazard.  SOCRRA is working on these issues.  Thank you for your patience and understanding.
what to recycle
socrra banner

What does SOCRRA accept?

​SOCRRA, 995 Coolidge, Troy accepts all curbside recyclables; unflattened, unbundled cardboard, automotive & household batteries; paperback & hardcover books; all paper (except carbon); CDs/DVDs/VHS/floppy disks/cassette tapes - all cases recycled separately; plastic bags (no twine or hard plastic handles, no frozen food or pet food bags); Styrofoam; scrap metal (no propane or gas cans); household hazardous waste and electronics recycling.  Please check www.socrra.org for additional information and hours.
house for sale
house new construction

What if I move?

​​Toters must be left for the new residents. Toters are tied to the household address.

​What if I am a new construction and don't have a toter?

From now until December 31, 2017 please contact SOCRRA at (248) 288-5150 for further information.