Traffic Violations - General

What is a Traffic Case?
If you violate the Michigan Motor Vehicle code and are issued a ticket by a police officer, you may be subject to fines and points on your driving record if it is a civil infraction. If your ticket is for a misdemeanor traffic violation, the penalty may include a jail sentence. Both civil infractions and misdemeanor tickets may be disputed in a court hearing or trial.

You may visit the Traffic Division during office hours, 8:00 A.M. to 4:30 P.M., Monday through Friday. The Traffic Division is located on the 1st floor of the Court Building and the telephone number is (248) 246-3600. But first, please review carefully all information on both the front and back of the citation / ticket.

Minor traffic infractions such as moving and mechanical violations are handled in the Traffic Division. Misdemeanor and felony cases(drunk driving cases for instance) are handled in the Criminal Division.

Payment of Fines
The Court accepts payment by cash , check (unless your drivers license has been suspended), money order, credit cards (visa/master) or cashier's check. Checks and money orders should be made payable to the 44th District Court, and can be sent through the mail, remitted in person at the Court, or placed in the drop box in front of the Court Building or City Hall. Please include the ticket number on the check or money order.

Traffic Tickets:
Credit card payments can be made online via the internet at:
You need LAST NAME as it appears on the ticket AND ticket number OR driver's license number

Parking Tickets
Credit card payments can be made online via the internet at Government Payment Services, Inc or by calling 1-888-604-7888. You will need to provide the following:

  • The 44th District Court 4-digit Pay Location Code # (3031)
  • Your ticket or case number
  • The amount owed

For information regarding your ticket/case/citation number and amount owed, call (248)246-3600 during office hours, 8:00 A.M. to 4:30 P.M., Monday through Friday.

To Plead Not Guilty
If you wish to plead not guilty, before your appearance date on the ticket, you must either:

  1. Call or write to schedule a Court Hearing date, or
  2. Write an explanation to the Judge.

Scheduling a Court Trial Date can be done in one of two ways:

  • You may request a Court Hearing date at the court clerk's office on the 1st floor of the Court Building, on or before the due date written on the citation. On the day of your court hearing, report to the Clerk's Office 15 minutes prior to your scheduled courtroom appearance.
  • You may write your request, your letter should include the statement that you intend to plead not guilty and would like a Court Hearing date. After the request is received, your scheduled Court Hearing date will be sent to you by mail within two weeks. If you do not receive the notice, it is your responsibility to call the court at (248)246-3600 and find out your date for your hearing.

Violations that may be Waived
If the officer checked on the ticket (waived), some violations like defective equipment are dismissed upon proof of correction, signed by a police officer, and the signed ticket being returned to the 44th District Court before the due date on the citation (ticket).

Mandatory Appearance
If your citation requires a mandatory appearance, MISDEMEANORS, report to the court clerk's office at 8:15 A.M. on the 1st floor of the Court Building, on any day prior to or on your due date. Failure to do so will result in a warrant being issued for your arrest.

Failure to Appear
Failure to appear in Court as you have promised or are required to will result in the following actions:

  • An assessment of additional court costs.
  • You will be charged with a failure to appear, which is a misdemeanor and is punishable by a fine, jail or both.
  • The Court will notify the Secretary of State of your failure to appear. They will withhold the issuance or renewal of your driver's license and suspend your driving privilege until the case is formally closed.






Contact Us | Disclaimers | Copyright © 1999 - 2014 City of Royal Oak | Login
211 S Williams Street, Royal Oak MI, 48067, Ph. 248-246-3000