MSU Soil Nutrient Testing Available at the MSU Extension Office and Local Garden Centers
The annual Don't Guess…Soil Test! program, co-sponsored by Michigan State University Extension, Michigan Water Stewardship Program, Southeastern Oakland County Water Authority and local retailers begins Saturday, April 2, 2011. The program runs through Sunday, May 1, 2011.
Through this special program, gardeners can obtain a soil nutrient and organic matter analysis through the Michigan State University Soil and Plant Nutrient Lab for the special price of $19.00 per sample. The price includes delivery of the soil sample to the MSU laboratory as well as a customized fertilizer recommendation.
Gardeners should consider having their soil tested to identify nutrients already in the soil and identify appropriate fertilizer options. Without a soil test, fertilizer application on the lawn or garden is simply guesswork. Over-application of fertilizers can pollute local lakes and rivers, reduce plant quality, and waste money.
Pick up a soil testing kit at the following retailers:
• MSU Extension office, 2nd floor of the North Office Building - 26East- Pontiac
• Auburn Oaks- Rochester Hills
• Bordine Nursery- Rochester Hills & Clarkston
• English Gardens- West Bloomfield & Royal Oak
• Four Season’s Garden Center, Berkley
• Glenda’s Garden Center- Novi,
• Goldner Walsh- Pontiac
• Hamilton’s of Ortonville
• Wojo’s Greenhouse- Ortonville and Lake Orion
• Mulligan’s Landscape and Garden Center-White Lake
• Oxford Farm and Garden-Oxford
• Shades of Green- Rochester Hills
• Telly’s Greenhouse & Garden Center, Troy
• Uncle Luke’s Feed Store, Troy
Visit www.oakgov.com/msu for instructions on how to take a sample.
If you miss the May 1st deadline for Don’t Guess… Soil Test!, don’t despair. Soil kits are available for pick up ($15) or mail ordered ($17) at the MSU Extension office. (Note that during non-DGST times, organic matter testing is available for an additional fee and gardeners will need to drop off samples at the MSU Extension office or mail samples directly to the MSU Soil Lab.)
For additional soil testing information or to find out about plant and pest diagnostic services available, contact the MSU Extension Oakland County Plant & Pest Hotline (248-858-0902). Or, visit our web site at www.oakgov.com/msu.