Providing Information and Education:
- Kindergarten Round-up – Packets were
distributed to over 400 incoming parents including information on
second-hand smoke, and its consequences on children’s health, internet
resources for parents and a description of 40 Developmental Assets.
- Table-top display – An exhibit on second-hand smoke was displayed at both public middle schools.
- Public Service Messages – Both city
and school cable stations increased our community outreach by airing:
"Moments that Matter," Coalition presentations, "Parents Who Host Lose
the Most" campaign, and a 60-second segment on role-modeling.
- Prevention Publications – A new
five-tier literature display rack was donated to the Coalition. Over 40
prevention-themed brochures are stocked weekly. A new Coalition
Committee is helping school staff order prevention materials and a
proposed monthly newspaper PSA is under discussion. Literature was also
on display at Royal Oak Career Expo.
- University of Detroit Mercy – A
partnership was formed to encourage area dentists and staffs to attend
substance abuse related training offered for continuing dental
- Liquor Control Committee – Coalition
members regularly attend LCC meetings to provide suggestions and input
related to the selling and merchandising of alcohol in our community.