Tax Foreclosure Prevention
5 Ways to Prevent Property Tax Foreclosure
- If your property is your home, or principle residence, make certain that you have claimed a "Principle Residence Exemption" on your income tax.
- If you did not file an income tax return, you may be eligible for a Homestead Property Tax Credit from the State of Michigan.
- If you meet the eligibility requirements, you may claim a poverty exemption.
- If you meet the eligibility requirements, you may also claim a hardship extension, granting you more time to pay your back taxes without losing your property.
- Contact the Office of Oakland County Treasurer Andy Meisner or your local treasurer immediately if you are having trouble paying your property taxes.
Oakland County Resources that can Help You!
Human Services, Housing Counseling, Employment Training and General Assistance Contact Information:
Oakland County Department of Human Services
Oakland County Veteran Services
Lighthouse of Oakland County
Oakland Livingston Human Services Agency
Community Services of Oakland County
Oakland County Foreclosure Prevention Initiative
Oakland County Health Department
United Way of Oakland County
Community Housing Network, Inc.
Gleaners Food Bank
Common Ground Sanctuary
HAVEN (domestic violence 24-hr. crisis helpline)