City Engineer, Matthew J. Callahan, P.E.
Office Hours: Mon-Fri: 8am-4:30pm
Customer Service Counter Hours: Mon-Thu, 8am - 4:30pm; Fridays, 8:00am-Noon
Location: 2nd floor City Hall, 211 S Williams St, Royal Oak MI 48067
The City of Royal Oak Engineering Department activity falls within the City Administration organizational structure and reports to the City Manager. The Department’s major responsibilities include the performance, coordination and supervision of all Engineering services for the City. The Engineering Department is responsible for the development of programs for public infrastructure improvements including the design or design review, contracting, supervision, and inspection of most all improvements constructed by or for the City. Engineering is also responsible for reviewing and recommending solutions to traffic and parking issues and evaluates all planned public improvement and private development impacts to public property.
The City of Royal Oak Engineering Department regularly maintains and updates all records of the City’s public utilities, easements, streets and alleys, and properties including parks, buildings and rights-of-way. The updating of engineering records is necessary when construction changes our streets or utilities, changes are made to public properties by City Commission resolution or from other City departments.
The City of Royal Oak Engineering Department assists prospective developers, builders, and consulting engineers with information regarding the availability, size, and location of all City utilities. Information is also provided to residents and other interested parties as necessary.
The City of Royal Oak Engineering Department issues permits for Right-of-way improvements including road and curb work, public sidewalk, paving on non-single family property developments, and other engineering related items.
It is recommended that interested parties call Engineering to check hours and schedule an appointment for the application and pick-up of plan reviews and permits. Additional information, permit applications and instructions can be obtained below.
- Contaminated Sewage Discharge Permits
- Horizontal Curb Cut Permits
- Oversized Load Transport Permits
- Parking Pull-off Review and Permitting
- Private Property Paving Permits
- Right-of-way Permits
- Sidewalk and Approach License and Permits
- Site Plan Review for Development Right-of-way, Drainage and Paving
- 2013 N Washington Ave Resurfacing Project - May 28 to Sept 27, 2013
- 2013 11 Mile Road Streetscape Improvement Project - May 13 to Nov 1, 2013
- 2013 Projects
- 2014 - Standard Specifications for Construction - Effective February 24, 2014
- City of Royal Oak 6-Year Capital Improvement Plan
- Consumers Annual Report on Water Quality
- Traffic Committee Requests
- Local Street Construction and Repair
- Major Road Construction and Repair
- Road Patch Repair Program
- Public Utility Record Information
- Sewer Construction and Major Repair
- Sidewalk Improvement Program
- Soil Erosion & Sedimentation Control
- Special Assessment Road Projects
- Special Assessment Sewer and Water Projects
- Trash Containers and Mobile Storage Containers on City Property
- Water Main Construction and Major Repair
All Plans, Applications, and Permits must be submitted in person unless other arrangements are made with the Engineering Department. Payment for Permits shall be at the time of permit issuance. The City accepts Cash and Check Payments.
Capital Improvement Plan
This is a report of the City's 6-year Capital Improvement Plan
Roadway Weight Limit and Seasonal Restrictions
Please refer to these State of Michigan Department of Transportation resources for official information about weight limits. Detailed weight restriction information may be obtained at www.michigan.gov/truckers . Please refer to the MDOT Truck Operator's Map for route designations. Information about Spring weight restrictions may be found at http://mdotcf.state.mi.us/public/alerts/bulletins.cfm?bulletin=weight ,
Department of Public Service Issues
Please Contact the Royal Oak Department of Public Service at 248-246-3300 regarding the following maintenance issues:
- Basement Flooding or Sewer backups
- Streetlight Outages
- Public Parking Lot Conditions and Maintenance
- Road and Alley conditions including:
- General Pavement Condition and Maintenance
- Grading of Gravel Streets and alleys
- Ponding Water in Streets/Roadways
- Pot Hole Patching
- Right-of-way Tree installation, removal and maintenance
- Traffic Signal Malfunction
Oakland County Roads and Signals
Please note: Roadways and associated Traffic Signals in the City of Royal Oak that are under the jurisdiction of the Road Commission for Oakland County (RCOC) include Woodward Avenue, 11 Mile Road, Greenfield Road, Coolidge Hwy. west of Woodward Avenue, Crooks Road, North of 14 Mile, 14 Mile Road, East of Rochester Road, 12 Mile Road, East of Campbell Road, and the I-696 Service Drive: Contact the RCOC at 248-858-7250 with questions and concerns.
Please Contact the Royal Oak City Attorney’s office at 248-246-3240 for any claim of damage.
|N-Washington-Resurfacing-05-20-13.pdf||05/20/13 10:47 am||53.3 KB|
|11-Mile-Road-Street-Scape-05-09-13.pdf||05/09/13 6:07 pm||68.73 KB|