Homeowner Affidavit

Property Transfer Affidavits and Homeowner's Principal Residence Exemption Affidavits
To file a property transfer affidavit and or a Homeowner's Principal Residence Exemption you need to deliver in person or mail either affidavit to this office. The transfer affidavit needs to be in our possession within 45 days of the transfer to avoid penalty. The Homeowner's Principal Residence Exemption affidavit needs to be in our possession by May 1st of the year following the transfer. 



The following Michigan Property Transfer Affidavit form is available online at the State of Michigan, Department of Treasurery website: http://www.michigan.gov/taxes/0,1607,7-238-43535_43537-154831--,00


Transfer Affidavit (Form 4260)
This form must be filed whenever real estate or some types of personal property are transferred (even if you are not recording a deed). It is used by the Assessor to ensure the property is assessed properly and receives the correct taxable value. It must be file by the new owner with the assessor for the city or township where the property is located within 45 days of the transfer. If it is not filed timely, a penalty of $5/day (maximum $200) applies. The information on this form is NOT CONFIDENTIAL.



The following Michigan affidavit forms are available online at the State of Michigan, Department of Treasurery website: http://www.michigan.gov/taxes/0,1607,7-238-43535_43537-154841--,00.html


Principal Residence Exemption (PRE) Affidavit (Form 2368)
If you own and occupy your principal residence, it may be exempt from a portion of your local school operating taxes. To claim an exemption, complete this Affidavit and file it with the City by May 1 of the year of the claim. The City Assessor will adjust your taxes on your next property tax bill. Note that this is an exemption from part of the taxes and does not affect your assessment.

Principal residence means the dwelling that you occupy as your permanent home and any unoccupied adjacent or contiguous properties that are classified residential.

Owning means you hold the legal title to the principal residence or that you are currently buying it on a notarized or recorded land contract. Renters should not file this form.

Occupying means this is your principal residence, the place you intend to return to whenever you go away. It may be the address that appears on your driver’s license or voter registration card. Vacation homes and income property that you do not occupy as your principal residence may not be claimed.

Read the instructions page before completing the form.

Principal Residence Exemption (PRE) Active Military Duty (Form 4660)
This form enables a person with an established Principal Residence Exemption (PRE) to retain that PRE while on active duty in the United States armed forces if the principal residence is rented or leased. Property that currently qualifies as a principal residence continues to qualify for three years after any portion of the dwelling or unit included in, or constituting the principal residence, is rented or leased to another person and is used as a residence.

Read the instructions page before completing the form.

Request to Rescind Principal Residence Exemption (Form 2602)
This form enables people who are selling or converting their home to another use to rescind their exemption. It also enables people to change the percentage that they occupy as their principal residence.

A property owner is required to rescind a principal residence exemption when they no longer own and occupy the property as their principal residence. The exemption will be removed December 31 of the year they rescind the exemption.

Read the instructions page before completing the form.

Conditional Rescission of Principal Residence Exemption (Form 4640)
This form enables a person who has established a new principal residence to retain a Principal Residence Exemption (PRE) on property previously exempt as the owner’s principal residence. The conditional rescission allows an owner to receive a PRE on his or her current Michigan property and on previously exempted property simultaneously if certain criteria are met. An owner may receive the PRE on the previous principal residence for up to three years if that property is not occupied, is for sale, is not leased, and is not used for any business or commercial purpose.

Read the instructions page before completing the form.

Contact Us | Disclaimers | Copyright © 1999 - 2015 City of Royal Oak | Login
211 S Williams Street, Royal Oak MI, 48067, Ph. 248-246-3000